Thursday, May 19, 2011

Week 19: Chinese Fried Rice

Recipe:  Chinese Fried Rice
From:  J.E. Barber Elementary PTA cookbook
Category:  Main Dish or Side Dish
Rating:  Awesome!  Even the kids ate it.  That's pretty impressive, if you have been reading this blog from the start.  I'm pretty sure my success rate with the kids is about 25%.

Ingredients:
1 cup long grain rice
6 eggs
1/4 teaspoon salt
Salad/vegetable oil
1 package (8 oz.) sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled  
1 tablespoon soy sauce
2 tablespoons chopped green onions

Directions:
  1. Prepare rice according to label directions.  Refrigerate until well chilled.
  2. In a medium bowl, slightly beat eggs and salt with fork.
  3. Heat 3 tablespoons oil in skillet over high heat until very hot.  Pour in egg mixture.  Cook, stirring quickly and constantly until eggs are the size of of peas.
  4. Reduce heat to low.  Push eggs to one side of the skillet.  In the same skillet, gently stir rice and 2 tablespoons oil until rice is well coated with oil. 
  5. Add bacon and soy sauce.  Gently stir to mix all ingredients.  Heat through.
  6. Spoon fried rice into warm bowl and sprinkle with green onions.



Note:  I cooked up some stir-fry chicken in another pan with some oil, soy sauce and garlic salt.  I would have added it all together, but thought the kids might not eat the chicken then.  Also, I used real bacon bits, and used 2/3 cup.  I would probably use about half that and add in the cooked chicken next time.  Also, I didn't put onions on top.  I put some dried chives on top, which was was not well received by the boy, "What's that green thing?"  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment